Eating is a big deal! It brings us joy, comfort, energy, and nutrition to heal.
Eating allows us to make good decisions.
You need to have food intake after surgery.
If your health condition allows without restriction, here is a short list of suggested foods for the first week after surgery that is easily cleared by your saliva or with water.
- Water (hydrate properly throughout the day)
- Ginger Ale
- Sugarless popsicle
- Sugarless jello
- Sugarless pudding
- Smooth Ice cream
- Smoothies / Shakes (no berry seeds allowed, no straws allowed, best to use a spoon)
- Eggs, scrambled or boiled
- String Cheese
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Plain Hummus
- Greek Yogurt
- Smooth soups (Chicken noodle, tomato basil, split pea, broths, etc)
- Mashed potato, mashed sweet potato, mashed carrots
- Very soft buttered noodles
- Very soft macaroni and cheese
- Boneless fish, mashed
- Whipped lentils
- Softened, well-cooked meats that can be easily chewed
- Turkey slices
Foods to avoid the first-week post-op
- Raw Vegetables
- Strawberries, Kiwis, any berries with tiny seeds
- Rice Krispy Treats
- Rice, oats, hard grains
- Popcorn, tacos, chips
- Biscuits / Crackers
- Nuts, Peanut Butter
- Hard lentils
- Spicy foods
- Hot foods or liquids
- Parsley, Loose Herbs
Disclaimer: This list is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice or diagnosis from a medical physician.